Pinto beans are the best for tacos, soups, and salads. They can be used in so many types of dishes, not to mention that they are also very economical.
When you have a lotof these beans, it’s tempting to share some with your dog. But is it a good idea to share these beans with Fido in the first place?
Are Pinto Beans Safe to Dogs?
Yes, pinto beans are definitely safe for our furry little friends! Just a friendly reminder, don’t add any spices when cooking them for your dog. Pinto beans will make for a healthy canine treat, as long as you offer them in moderate amounts.
Be warned that pinto beans have a gassy side effect because they contain indigestible sugars. These indigestible sugars are the reason why pinto beans cause your pet to fart more than usual.
Do note that carbohydrates should only account for roughly 10% of your dog’s diet. Beans, as well as grains, are carbohydrates so you have to limit their quantity in your dog’s meals.
What type of pinto beans is ideal for your dog? Always go for the dried ones over the canned variety when buying any type of beans. Dried pinto beans are much cheaper and they don’t have an excessive amount of sodium.
Dried beans also taste better than the canned version. Although they require hours of preparation and cooking, they have a richer and more pleasing texture than the ready to eat variety.
If you don’t have any choice but to use canned pinto beans, get rid of the broth and rinse them under running water. These methods help reduce by half the sodium levels of the canned beans.
Canned pinto beans are already cooked but it’s recommended that you heat them first. You can also put them in a bowl and heat them in the microwave.
How to Serve Pinto Beans to Canines
Start by soaking the dried pinto beans for at least 8 hours. Soaking the pinto beans helps reduce the indigestible carbohydrates that are considered as anti-nutrients.
Pinto beans should be cooked before serving them to your pet. This is the rule in giving beans to dogs, unless you are giving green beans which can be eaten raw. You need to have 3 cups of water for every cup of dry pinto beans.
When you’re using the stovetop, the cooking time will be of aboutonehour. If you want to cook themfaster, you can put themin a pressure cooker for 6 minutes and allow for a natural release, not more than 15 minutes.
You can include them in your pet’s homemade food. Pinto beans arebest combined with brown rice, which is also a wholesome source of vitamins and minerals for dogs. They are also best paired with meat and vegetables.
If you want to make them more palatable, add them as an ingredient to your dog’s dinner. You can stir-fry them using organic vegetable oil. You could add stew meat, diced carrots, and sweet potato to give them a better flavor.
Pinto beans can be given to dogs as long as you practice moderation in feeding this legumeto them. Mix them with other meals such as rice, meat, and fish to make them more palatable. You can even mix them with kibble.
Do dogs like the taste of pinto beans? It depends. There are a number of things that can affect your dog’s chances of liking a certain food. Some dogs would not eat something out of boredom or if they are not really hungry at the moment.
What Are the Benefits of Pinto Beans forDogs?
- Beans are good for the heart and can even lower the risks of heart attacks in humans. In dogs, they are beneficial for heart health because they contain cholesterol-reducing fiber.
- They stabilize blood sugar while providing an extra amount of energy to burn. Pinto beans can be a wholesome treat for dogs suffering from diabetes.
- They can boost the immune system. Pinto beans are a great source of antioxidants that can fight a wide range of diseases including cancer.
- They are good for the brain. Pinto beans are loaded with nutrients, such as folate that regulates specific amino acids required by the nervous system. They also have choline which is known to improve memory functions.
- Pinto beans can help break down sugars. This isbecause they are an excellent source of thiamine, a water-soluble vitamin that is essential in the chemical decomposition of sugars in the body,
- They area healthy source of protein. Dogs need adequate amounts of protein to survive but if you are looking for a way to include plant-based protein into your pet’s diet, you cannot go wrong with beans.
- Pinto beans are an excellent source of dietary fiber, which helps your pet feel fuller. This may be helpful for dogs that tend to be hungry all the time.
- Pinto beans can help prevent anemia caused by iron deficiency. It is important to give yourdog enough iron toensure that there is a formation of new blood cells. Thisis possible by feeding your petcopper and iron-rich foods.
The Bottom Line
Pinto beans are among the types of beans that dogs can eat. They are bursting with vitamins and minerals which make them a wholesome treat for dogs. Consider adding them to your pet’s usual meals but don’t use them as a substitute for all your pet’s meals. Your dog still needs more animal-based protein to survive, because they are designed to eat meat in the first place.